Following an open call, eight curators based in Scotland have been selected to travel to Japan from 21-29 October 2017 to visit a range of galleries and arts events in Tokyo and Yokohama.
Supported by Creative Scotland and the British Council, their programme includes a visit to Mori Art Museum in Roppongi, Tokyo, followed by several days in Yokohama to learn about the Yokohama Triennale 2017, the Nissan Art Award 2017 and the Koganecho Bazaar 2017. The delegates will meet curators from key arts institutions and emerging Japanese artists in Tokyo.
The curators travelling from Scotland are:
- Eoin Dara, curator, Dundee Contemporary Arts
- Richard Parry, Director, Glasgow International
- Tako Taal, curator Market Gallery, Glasgow
- Kirsteen MacDonald, curator Chapter 13, Govan and lecturer Glasgow School of Art
- Susan Christie, independent curator based in the Highlands
- Gordon Douglas, independent curator based in Edinburgh
- Naoko Mabon, curator WAGON, based in Aberdeen
- Neil Firth, Director, Pier Arts Centre