A group exhibition of queer work by young visual artists from the Caribbean opens at Transmission Gallery in Glasgow, Scotland on 18 February and is on view until 25 March 2017.
Caribbean Queer Visualities is curated by Small Axe, a critical platform based in the Caribbean, in partnership with the British Council. The exhibition was previously shown at Golden Thread Gallery (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in November 2016 as part of the 10th annual Outburst Queer Arts Festival.
"One of the most remarkable developments in the Caribbean and its diaspora over the past two decades or so is the emergence of a generation of young visual artists working in various media (paint, film, performance) who have been transforming Caribbean visual practice, perhaps even Caribbean visual culture." David Scott, Director, Small Axe Project
The exhibition features works by ten artists from the Caribbean:
- Ewan Atkinson (Barbados)
- Jean-Ulrick Désert (Haiti/Germany)
- Richard Fung (Trinidad/Canada)
- Andil Gosine (Trinidad/Canada)
- Nadia Huggins (St.Vincent & the Grenadines)
- Leasho Johnson (Jamaica)
- Charl Landvreugd (Suriname/Netherlands)
- Kareem Mortimer (Bahamas)
- Ebony G. Patterson (Jamaica)
- Jorge Pineda (Dominican Republic)