TAKE OFF AND LANDING FIELD 1943
Albert Richards (1919 – 1945)
- 62.2 X 75.5 CM
- OIL ON CARDBOARD
- Accession number
This work was the last Richards painted as a sapper (a military engineer) that he submitted to the War Artists Advisory Committee in September 1943. He described the painting as depicting ‘A cruciform slab of concrete about 1½ miles in length, which eventually became a take off and landing field for large bombers, an invasion base for a Second Front (Suffolk). In the Spring of 1943 Richards transferred to 591 (Antrim) Parachute Squadron and started his training in what was known to other initiates as ‘Kilkenny’s Circus’ at Ringway near Manchester.
This work was presented to the Collection by the War Artists' Advisory Committee.