THE CACTUS HOUSE, KEW GARDENS 1922
Frank Newbould (1887 – 1951)
- 76 X 50.5 CM
- Accession number
London's Kew Gardens houses over 30,000 different species of living plants. The Cactus House was devised to house the collection of Mrs A Sherman Hoyt, a Californian woman whose collection of cacti was the toast of 1929's Royal Horticultural Society show. Two of her specimens can be seen on this poster. She also donated a painting of a desert scene and various sands and rocks to augment the display. The Cactus House was opened to the public on March 24th 1930. Kew Gardens as a whole attracts over a million visitors per year and is housed in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.