CAMOUFLAGE BAYRAKLI MOSQUE 2007
Nathan Coley (1967 – )
- 100 X 78 X 63 CM
- PAINTED HARDBOARD
- Accession number
Camouflage Mosque was commissioned for the exhibition Breaking Stepshown at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Belgrade in 2007.
Bayrakli Mosque was built around 1575 during the Turkish occupation, and converted to a Catholic church during the Austrian rule before reverting back to its original purpose. At the end of the 18th Century it was named the Bayrakli Mosque, after the flag which has been raised as a sign for beginning of prayers. The Bayrakli Mosque was one of over 200 hundred mosques in the city, but is now the only place of Muslim worship in Belgrade, In 2004 it was partially burnt and damaged by demonstrators in retaliation to the burning of Orthodox churches in Kosovo. The mosque has since been restored.